Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tostones

In December, I tried to make a traditional Venezuelan dish for my Spanish class. The meal consisted of arepas, black beans with fire-roasted tomatoes, rice, and plantains. I sauteed the plantains in olive oil.... let's just say, I should have done a little more research. My sweet Spanish teacher shared her traditional Cuban method of making twice-fried plantains; with her advice and a little help from youtube, my husband and I had delicious tostones this weekend!

2 plantains
2 cups vegetable oil
salt
________________________________________
1. Peel plantains and slice into 1 inch pieces.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet (oil should be about 325 degrees). Place plantains into skillet and cook for two minutes. Flip plantains and cook for another two minutes.
3. Remove from skillet and drain excess oil with paper towels. Using saran wrap and a flat object (i used the bottom of a bowl), flatten the plantains until they are about half of their original width.
4. Place plantains back into the skillet and fry for four minutes on each side.
5. Remove and cool.
________________________________________
image from laylita.com




No comments:

Post a Comment